[Cialug] OT: mac-mini?

David Champion dave at visionary.com
Thu Oct 20 15:50:29 CDT 2005

Barry Von Ahsen wrote:

> Stuart Thiessen wrote:
>
>> I am still on Panther (10.3) on my laptop so I don't know if the
>> improved Safari on 10.4 has changed
>
> safari in 10.4 has "back" in the right-click/contextual menu.  that
> alone ought to be enough to justify an upgrade :) (having to mouse back
> all the way to the top drove me nuts in 10.3)
>
> -barry

Don't mean to sound all RMS here, but...

The new version of Linux and / or Firefox didn't cost me anything. That
alone might be enough to justify not buying a Mac. How much do those
incremental MacOSX updates cost?

Microsoft doesn't even charge for those - once I purchased WinXP, I get
incremental updates (as in SP2, and security releases) for no additional
charge. Dang, now you've got me sounding like a MS fanboy...

MacOSX is a nifty / pretty *nix, but it's:

a. Proprietary (read today's comments on /. regarding OO.o and Carbon)

b. Not OSS (would follow a. then, wouldn't it?)

Uh, end rant.

-dc