[Cialug] Learning the 'C' language

Morris Dovey mrdovey at iedu.com
Fri Oct 14 09:09:53 CDT 2005

Stuart Thiessen wrote:

| Just a thought ... has the CIALUG considered offering classes to the
| community? That can be one way to encourage community interest in
| open source ideas by offering programming classes or awareness
| classes or even 'I installed Linux but now what?' classes. Those
| can help move "curious" people into potential programmers or Linux
| advocates because they are helped over the "bumps" that might block
| them from continuing their interest.

Good thoughts, although I'm not sure what an "awareness class" might be.

The 'I installed Linux but now what?' class has interesting
possibilities. I think there are a lot of people who pass on Linux (even
as they concede that it might be a right answer for them) just because
they can't imagine how they'd proceed after installation.

When I was invited to consider teaching C++ courses a few years back, I
declined - but have thought a lot about teaching C since. If the course
is to be really worthwhile, it'll be a demanding exercise for the
teacher. The 'what' part is easy, the 'how' part may be somewhat more
difficult, and the 'why' part is definitely non-trivial.

Teaching about how to use Linux for common tasks (the things most
Windows users do) strikes me as a _great_ idea!

Morris Dovey
C links at http://www.iedu.com/c/