[Cialug] routers

Jonathan A. Kollasch jakllsch at kollasch.net
Sat Nov 26 19:39:24 CST 2005

On Sat, Nov 26, 2005 at 06:05:56PM -0600, Dan Hockey wrote:
> Its a befw11s4.  I'd like to get a wrt54gs but Idon't know anyone that

My BEFW11S4's wireless locks up every ~40 minutes. This is with the
latest firmware. It is now in service as a 4-port switch.

I've heard many complaints about Broadcom radios in the OpenWrt IRC channel.

> has used one.
> -dh
>
> Dave J. Hala Jr. wrote:
>
> >If it is a wrtg, try runninng the Sveasoft firmware on your router.

I'd recommend OpenWrt for these routers.

> >On Sat, 2005-11-26 at 10:39, Dan Hockey wrote:
> >
> >>What would you all recommend for a router or router/ap? This is my
> >>fourth linksys(third ap) thats starting to develop problems(locking up)
> >>before dying just outside of the warantee.
> >>-dh

I've only used it as a AP, but my 6-month old D-Link DI-524 has been
trouble-free for me. I've also not had problems with my WRT54Gv3 running
OpenWrt as an AP (again only for 6-months).

I've gotten the impression from others that Atheros-based hardware
(such as the DI-524, and most all of the 108 stuff) works well in general.

	Jonathan Kollasch