[Cialug] gemsvnc, x11vnc

Nathaniel Petersen major.stubble at gmail.com
Thu Nov 10 16:51:11 CST 2005

gemsvnc is great if you have a section of screen that is very active.
I've used it on desktops that have very busy screen areas (say wmcube
or those GAIM-guifications).  It can be rather painful to set up.

I used x11vnc for a while.  It works well.  Configuration is simple,
and loading the daemon is cake.  It is as close to a remote desktop
service as I have found.

My only complaint with either one may be the very feature you are
looking for, Kendall.  x11vnc has nothing built in that will 'blank'
the local screen, lock the keyboard and mouse, etc.  Therefor, if
there is someone sitting in front of your system, they will be able to
see _and_ interact with you.

Here is why I found this to be a security concern.  I am the only user
on my work computer.  I don't usually log out of my X session.
Instead I lock the screen with XScreenSaver.  With x11vnc, when I
'connect' to the X session, I'm presented with the XScreenSaver
password dialogue box.  Entering my password will unlock my screen,
and give full access to anyone who is able to sit in front of my
computer.

I toyed with blockdpy, but it doesn't really work all that well.

So, if you are trying to share an X session between two users, this is
a great tool.  If you want a private X session on a workstation, try
Tight VNC Server.

-Nick