OT [Cialug] Time for Suse funeral?

Dave J. Hala Jr. dave at 58ghz.net
Mon Nov 7 11:05:47 CST 2005

My experience with Novell, is that they have always made great products
-for Geeks. (I switched to Linux before Netware 5, so I can't comment on
that one)

That said, my main gripe with Novell is that they have never been really
focused.  They're all over the place.

I was glad to see the move to Linux and granted it was a bold move, but
it made sense. However, they did go linux and went about ten differant
directions at once. I'm glad to see them have a little tighter focus.

One could say Novell went a bunch of differant directions with Linux, so
that they could "see" what was to become a "viable" component of their
business. (I do this alot) However, I think they worked hard and had a
little luck on their side. I really doubt that it was "planned".

That said, I'm a little disappointed to see some of the focus move off
of Evolution, but there a billion things that could be done to improve
Gnome, and that is good thing. (Even though I prefer KDE).

:) Dave

On Mon, 2005-11-07 at 10:44, David Stout wrote:
> For those who are interested this article explanins the rumor.

> Aaron Jensen <aaron at aaronjensen.net> wrote:
>         I wouldn't be getting too worked up.  Looking like the whole
>         article was based on rumor as Novell made an announcement this
>         morning that the whole article was false.  What was announced
>         is that they will be removing KDE and switching to GNOME.
>
>         Aaron
>
>         On 11/7/05, Lee <leeh at csi-rics.com> wrote:
>                 If you read the responses at the bottom of that page
>                 (assuming they can
>                 be believed). it sounds like author of that article
>                 may have taken
>                 things out of perspective, to say the least.
>
>                 Anthony Jeffries wrote:
>
>                 >On Mon, Nov 07, 2005 at 08:07:52AM -0600, Paul Gray
>                 wrote:
>                 >
>                 >
>                 >>On Mon, Nov 07, 2005 at 05:43:53AM -0800, David
>                 Stout wrote:
>                 >>
>                 >>
>                 >>>I have a newer computer that I was hoping to load
>                 SuSe 10.0 on. Now what? Any suggestions?
>                 >>>
>                 >>>
>                 >>Debian, of course.
>                 >>
>                 >>Just trying to help.
>                 >>
>                 >>
>                 >
>                 >Along a similar line (i.e. Debian-like distros), try
>                 Ubuntu
>                 >(www.ubuntulinux.org). I'm using that on my laptop
>                 now.
>                 >
>                 >
>                 >

> David Stout
> BTS Billing Team
> Data Repository & Reports

Open Source Information Systems, Inc. (OSIS)
Dave J. Hala Jr., President <dave at osis.us>
641.485.1606