[Cialug] New Virus Exploit

Dave J. Hala Jr. dave at 58ghz.net
Thu Nov 3 12:01:32 CST 2005

Yea. friggin' windows users...

Actually most windows users running with admin privileges, don't even
know they are... You know, its really a PITA for a windows user to have
login as admin to install something, and then logout and then log back
in as themselves...

I think its a windows cultural thing. "Regular windows" users don't
wanna be bothered with such things... There is this perception that
Windows boxes are supposed to  be like microwaves... You put your stuff
in, push the button and your stuff gets cooked... Can you imagine having
to login into your microwave as "chef" to pop a bag of kettle corn?

:) Dave

On Thu, 2005-11-03 at 11:51, David Champion wrote:
> IMHO the biggest problem with Windows viruses is that 99% of Windows
> users (at least in the home / small business arena) run with
> Administrator privileges, which makes life easy for virus writers.
>
> On a *nix system where you're running as a "normal" user most of the
> time, they have to be a lot craftier, and find something like a buffer
> overflow exploit of a service to be able to run at a privileged level
> and install a rootkit.
>
> -dc
>
> Jerry Weida wrote:
> > All I have to say is wow.
> >
> > On 11/3/05, Stuart Thiessen <sthiessen at passitonservices.org> wrote:
> >
> >>Did you guys read about this? I was surprised to learn about this new
> >>virus exploit.
> >>
> >>FYI ...
> >>http://www.security.ithub.com/article/
> >>Virus+Scanners+Made+Moot+by+New+Exploit/164278_1.aspx?
> >>kc=ewnws110305dtx1k0000599
> >>
> >>Thanks,
> >>
> >>Stuart

Open Source Information Systems, Inc. (OSIS)
Dave J. Hala Jr., President <dave at osis.us>
641.485.1606