[Cialug] Mac Powerbook for linux?

Renegade Muskrat cialug@cialug.org
Wed, 25 May 2005 21:52:21 -0500

I don't know about the value of the machine, but i've run Linux on a
400 MHz bronze G3 Powerbook. It works very well. The original Airport
that is in the older Powerbooks is even supported under Linux. I would
definitely recommend upgrading the RAM though. The hard drive could or
could not be upgraded, depending on what you were planning on using the
machine for. Personally i try to not store lots of files on a notebook
and so don't mind a smaller drive. Your usage may vary, of course.

At 02:41 PM 5/25/2005 -0500, you wrote:

 >I have a co-worker offering me a Mac Powerbook G3 PowerPC 750 64 MB
RAM
 >and
 >6 GB HD "Bronze Lombard".  I have been tempted by the silver apple
for
 >some
 >time.  The machine appears to be relatively clean and in decent
 >condition.
 >The battery needs replaced.
 >
 >I'm going to check e-bay but I wondered if anyone would ballpark what
 >should expect to Pay.
 >
 >Probably would want more memory and the disk is small, but would it
be
 >OK to
 >run Linux on or should I wait until something else comes
along?  (Would
 >probably beat the 486 I've been asking about on IRC!)
 >
 >-Nate
                                                -- Dan
             "I'm still sane on three planets and two moons."
       Daniel Ramaley                  3118 Cottage Grove Ave Apt 8
       dramaley at spatulacity dot cx        Des Moines, Iowa 50311
       http://www.spatulacity.cx/                    (515) 271-5233
        WARNING: REDISTRIBUTION OF THIS MESSAGE MAY BE IN
                 VIOLATION OF APPLICABLE COPYRIGHT LAWS.
                 THIS MESSAGE NOT GUARANTEED Y-TO-K COMPLIANT.