[Cialug] Mac Powerbook for linux?

Nathan C. Smith cialug@cialug.org
Wed, 25 May 2005 14:52:25 -0500

Is the RAM "different" or is it "standard" laptop RAM?

-----Original Message-----
From: Josh More [mailto:morej@alliancetechnologies.net]
Sent: Wednesday, May 25, 2005 2:51 PM
To: cialug@cialug.org
Subject: Re: [Cialug] Mac Powerbook for linux?

On Wed, 2005-05-25 at 14:41 -0500, Nathan C. Smith wrote:
> I have a co-worker offering me a Mac Powerbook G3 PowerPC 750 64 MB
> RAM and 6 GB HD "Bronze Lombard".  I have been tempted by the silver
> apple for some time.  The machine appears to be relatively clean and
> in decent condition. The battery needs replaced.
>
> I'm going to check e-bay but I wondered if anyone would ballpark what
> I should expect to Pay.
>
> Probably would want more memory and the disk is small, but would it be
> OK to run Linux on or should I wait until something else comes along?
> (Would probably beat the 486 I've been asking about on IRC!)

Just as a caution, upgrading macs can be very pricy.

My 'free' powerbook has cost me over $400.  I have had to replace:
* Battery
* Analog Board
* Power Adapter
* Hard Drive
* RAM

Depending on the upgrades, you might be better off buying new.

--
-Josh More, RHCE, CISSP
 morej@alliancetechnologies.net