[Cialug] OT: KVM=how sick of a geek you are.

Renegade Muskrat cialug@cialug.org
Sat, 21 May 2005 09:49:28 -0500

I have a "full blown cabinet" that even has a tinted glass door on the
front. But it isn't one of the 8-foot tall monstrosities seen in data
centers; it is only 20 U. Does that still mean i have a fairly advanced
case of geek sickness?

The slowest machine i still have in production on the home network is a
486/66, which is being used as a mail server. It was actually the first
machine i ever built, back around 1993 or 1994. Alas, none of my
servers use a serial console. They are all fairly standard PC hardware,
hooked through a pair of 4 port KVM switches (when i bought the
switches it was cheaper to get two 4 port switches than a single 8
port... go figure). The KVM switches are attached to a very old
monochrome VGA monitor and an old keyboard (old enough that the case is
made of actual metal and the keys make a solid click noise when
pressed). I used the monochrome monitor because i figured it would draw
less power than a color monitor, which would thus allow slightly
greater runtime on the UPS. I suppose in a few years LCD monitors will
become throw-away items and i'll be able to find a free color LCD with
even lower power requirements than the monochrome CRT.

At 12:25 AM 5/21/2005 -0500, you wrote:
 >Hmmm.  "Computer Room", that may be a step beyond the KVM sickness.
 >There
 >is probably a degree for racks too.  Telcom wall-mounted, telcom,
 >floor-standing, four post, and full blown cabinet.

                                                -- Dan
             "I'm still sane on three planets and two moons."
       Daniel Ramaley                  3118 Cottage Grove Ave Apt 8
       dramaley at spatulacity dot cx        Des Moines, Iowa 50311
       http://www.spatulacity.cx/                    (515) 271-5233
        WARNING: REDISTRIBUTION OF THIS MESSAGE MAY BE IN
                 VIOLATION OF APPLICABLE COPYRIGHT LAWS.
                 THIS MESSAGE NOT GUARANTEED Y-TO-K COMPLIANT.