[Cialug] what distros were out in 1996?

Josh More cialug@cialug.org
Fri, 20 May 2005 11:25:00 -0500

My experience has been that it is best to use modern distros
even with older hardware.  Specifically, I like Fedora and
SUSE pro, as they have the 2.6 kernel with lots of drivers.

In the one machine I've had that didn't work (32M ram, 1G hard
drive, laptop), I installed NetBSD and everything worked.
In that case, the situation was that most distros wouldn't boot
on it, and the ones that did, didn't support the PCMCIA bus.
While I could have built the driver to make that work, I didn't
have the space to install the development system.  Yeah, there
were workarounds, but I just thought that there were too many
chickens and eggs.  NetBSD worked great.

--
-Josh More, RHCE, CISSP
 morej@alliancetechnologies.net