[Cialug] Maxtor drives

Don Cady cialug@cialug.org
Tue, 17 May 2005 13:50:13 -0500

> If I want quiet I buy Samsung.  I'm guessing they are probably somewhere
> between WD and Seagate on quality spectrum.
Quieter than Seagates?
Piping my 2¢ in on this thread, I'd rank HDs in quality like this now:
Seagate > IBM(now Hitachi) > Fujitsu > WD > Maxtor, with Hitachi & Fujitsu
really close. Haven't delt with many Samsung drives. Maxtor and Quantum have
long been bad. (and whadyaknow...) It seems like Maxtor had the higher
failure rate, but they always happily replaced them. It's almost like their
business model has the foreknowledge of high failure built in: They have
plenty of people on the phones and docks ready to take your drive because,
Hey!, they've been expecting it. It just rubs me the wrong way.
Add to that Lee's 9-3-04 post on them relabeling drives and it starts to
make sense..

Don