[Cialug] Maxtor drives

Nathan C. Smith cialug@cialug.org
Tue, 17 May 2005 13:21:13 -0500

I think some of those old drives ran slower, and cooler and didn't have
tolerances as tight as they are today to hit the capacity they do in the
same form factor.  I bet there are some 10 MB Winchester drives somewhere
still rattling away.

-----Original Message-----
From: Darcy Baston [mailto:darcybaston@mac.com]
Sent: Tuesday, May 17, 2005 12:06 PM
To: cialug@cialug.org
Subject: Re: [Cialug] Maxtor drives

Bryan, remember the Quantum 52MB drives from the late 80s? Buddy of mine had
one of those in his Amiga 2000, and 10+ years later it still worked like a
champ.

I've had good experiences with Toshiba and Seagate, and poor ones with
Maxtor and WD (having worked in a computer store for a while). I had a 2.5"
80MB Seagate for more than 5 years that worked great, and then a 2.5"
Toshiba 800MB for about 7 years. Never a problem with either.

My iMac 400mhz DV SE (2000) came with a 13GB Fujitsu that continues to work
well today.

A photographer pal of mine has some 120MB IBM micro drives in his
professional high end digital SLR cameras that have worked more than 5 years
without a hiccup.

I recently purchased an external USB 2.0 LaCie 160GB drive. I haven't
checked out its specs yet to see who's the media maker, but we'll see how it
fares in the long run.

Darcy