[Cialug] Maxtor drives

Darcy Baston cialug@cialug.org
Tue, 17 May 2005 12:05:41 -0500

Bryan, remember the Quantum 52MB drives from the late 80s? Buddy of mine had one of those in his Amiga 2000, and 10+ years later it still worked like a champ.

I've had good experiences with Toshiba and Seagate, and poor ones with Maxtor and WD (having worked in a computer store for a while). I had a 2.5" 80MB Seagate for more than 5 years that worked great, and then a 2.5" Toshiba 800MB for about 7 years. Never a problem with either.

My iMac 400mhz DV SE (2000) came with a 13GB Fujitsu that continues to work well today.

A photographer pal of mine has some 120MB IBM micro drives in his professional high end digital SLR cameras that have worked more than 5 years without a hiccup.

I recently purchased an external USB 2.0 LaCie 160GB drive. I haven't checked out its specs yet to see who's the media maker, but we'll see how it fares in the long run.

Darcy