[Cialug] Maxtor drives

Bryan Baker cialug@cialug.org
Tue, 17 May 2005 10:58:46 -0500

Back on topic, I've had good luck w/ Maxtors, and back in the day
Quantums (yes, bigfoot drives suck, but some of their higher end were
really nice).
I avoid WD like the plague.
Lately I've been buying Seagate since they started the 5 yr. warranty
and they've worked out to be on nice sales when I needed one. I've got
to say they've been very nice. Funny, a couple years ago I thought the
company was dead.

On May 16, 2005, at 11:15 PM, alan.maupin@mchsi.com wrote:
> I second your accessment as I too own a 60gb and a 120gb maxtor over
> two years
> old, and two brand new 160gb maxtor's in a striped raid zero
> configuration.  No
> problem's so far.
>

>> I have two maxtor's, a 60GB and 120GB.  The 60GB has been going, very
>> quickly
>> and reliably, for 2.5 years now.  I see Maxtor as second to seagate
>> for IDE
>> drivers... I won't buy WD.
>> It seems Maxtor and WD both tend to produce lemon models.  I think
>> it's best to
>> ask about complaints with older iterations of the same model.  And
>> it's also
>> good to never accept the same model drive in exchange ....
>>

>> Quoting "Nathan C. Smith" <smith@ipmvs.com>:
>>

>>> Does anyone else have the same disdain for the Maxtor brand that I
>>> do?  I
>>> will never knowingly purchase a drive marked Maxtor.
>>>
>>> We have an inexpensive Compaq DL320 I use to store and image drives
>>> from.
>>> Unbelievably, it came with Maxtor IDE drives in it.  (It was from
>>> over three
>>> years ago - I chose IDE over SCSI at the time because it was
>>> non-critical
>>> and I could get more capacity for less $$$ with IDE). I have had two
>>> Maxtor
>>> drives fail in the unit over the past two years.  I have had other
>>> poor
>>> experiences with Maxtor at home as well - from before I knew better.
>>>
>>> Anyone have anything good to say about Maxtor?  Anyone else care to
>>> vent?
>>>
>>> -Nate

Bryan Baker
Technology Advocate