[Cialug] Maxtor drives

Lee cialug@cialug.org
Mon, 16 May 2005 16:24:44 -0500

I don't know of any other brand of drive with as high a failure rate. There
are two names I don't like to see on a Hard Disk, Maxtor and Quantum Big
Foot.

-----Original Message-----
From: cialug-admin@cialug.org [mailto:cialug-admin@cialug.org]On Behalf
Of Nathan C. Smith
Sent: Monday, May 16, 2005 12:03 PM
To: 'cialug@cialug.org'
Subject: [Cialug] Maxtor drives

Does anyone else have the same disdain for the Maxtor brand that I do?  I
will never knowingly purchase a drive marked Maxtor.

We have an inexpensive Compaq DL320 I use to store and image drives from.
Unbelievably, it came with Maxtor IDE drives in it.  (It was from over three
years ago - I chose IDE over SCSI at the time because it was non-critical
and I could get more capacity for less $$$ with IDE). I have had two Maxtor
drives fail in the unit over the past two years.  I have had other poor
experiences with Maxtor at home as well - from before I knew better.

Anyone have anything good to say about Maxtor?  Anyone else care to vent?

-Nate