[Cialug] Maxtor drives

cialug@cialug.org cialug@cialug.org
Mon, 16 May 2005 20:32:17 +0000

At work, we recently purchased 4 Dell desktops that had Maxtor SATA drives in
them.  So far, 2 of them have failed, plus at least one in another division.
One drive was so screwed up, XP saw it as a blank drive, and couldn't recover
any info from it.  Linux however, had no problem seeing an NTFS filesystem.

I bought a Maxtor 7200RPM ATA drive to put in my DirecTivo.  It is noisy as
h*ll!  There's a utility I can run on the drive to make it more quiet, but that
requires pulling the drive and putting it in a PC.

I think CompUSA brand drives are also Maxtor, so beware of those too.

Western Digital drives are better.  I've seen two fail.  One was an old 1.6GB
drive that came in a machine I bought off eBay (old Pentium box) a few years
ago.  Maybe the guy dropped it and shipped it anyway.  The other was a 2.1GB
that had been running for a very long time.  The guy ignored the SMART errors at
boot time.  Luckily I was able to restore everything (using Linux, of course).

About a year ago, I added a 1.6GB WD drive to my Linux box (needed just a bit
more space).  It's still purring along, 24x7.
--
Tim W.