[Cialug] Wireless over Linux recommendations?

D. Joe Anderson cialug@cialug.org
Mon, 2 May 2005 21:50:50 -0500

On Sat, Apr 30, 2005 at 12:20:08AM -0500, Tony Bibbs wrote:
> Ok, my wireless B router decided to die

> This is probably as good a time to upgrade routers and nics.  What
> routers can any of you recommend and which linux friendly nics should I
> consider (mixing brands doesn't bother me).

My first WAP was a D-Link, but it died not long after it's first
birthday.

next up were the big grey rounded Netgears.  Those worked a
treat.  Then came the little grey, rounded Netgears, and much
cursing was done.  I hear the white, rounded ones are so-so,
too, but haven't laid hands on one long enough to tell.

My latest infatuation is with the Linksys WRT54G flashed to hold
the www.openwrt.org firmware.  I'm not using it in "production"
yet (my old, big, rounded grey Netgear is still going strong)
but it's *very* cool to get an ordinary shell prompt(*) when
telnet'ing in to one's WAP.  Mine are v2, but supposedly other
variants of the WRT54G will also work, and would be fun to see
how the compact WRT54GC would work.

The v2's seem to be going into end-of-life clearance sales now,
at $40 at Sam's or about that (after customer-hostile rebate
foolishness) at the usual suspect electronic retail outlets,
which is a price point hard to beat.

(*) ordinary in this case meaning BusyBox

--
D. Joe Anderson         http://www.etrumeus.com/~deejoe
"DRM [...] is to copyright law as a machine gun on