[Cialug] MythTV

Nathan C. Smith cialug@cialug.org
Mon, 2 May 2005 16:45:08 -0500

Have you looked at KnoppMyth? (http://www.mysettopbox.tv)  It's a great way
to get started with MythTV

Does your directTV tuner have any ports on it?  You may need an "IR blaster"
to send IR commands to the box from MythTV.  They are supposed to be easy to
build but for a time it was a cottage industry as well.

If you are using a satellite tuner, what inputs do you want to use?  You can
set the main input to tuner0 and the first channel to whatever your
RF-modulator is set to on your satellite box.  You could also use the
S-video if your capture Card is so-equipped.

There are a lot of great resources for Myth, including the knoppMyth Forum,
the myth mailing list (pretty busy as I recall) and the KnoppMyth wiki.
There are a couple of exceptional web sites to, especially one by jarrod for
installing Myth on Fedora Core 3/RH9 etc.

What kind of video card/video out are you using?  What kind of Motherboard
and what chipset?  How much RAM?  Which model of PVR-250 do you have?

-Nate

-----Original Message-----
From: Tony Bibbs [mailto:tony@tonybibbs.com]
Sent: Monday, May 02, 2005 3:59 PM
To: cialug@cialug.org
Subject: [Cialug] MythTV

Ok, so I was too impatient to wait for the next LUG meeting.  I started
with an installation of KnoppMyth and I have a few issues right off the bat.

1) libdvdcss isn't included, which I expected.  Being this is
Debian-based, I was excited to give my first try at using apt.  So I try
apt-get and got some errors.  I was told to do first do an apt-get
update before trying the apt-get on libdvdcss.  Even that managed to
bomb so Debian users who chime in with smart-a$$ remarks like "all I
have to do is apt-get" will feel my wrath next time.  But seriously, how
do I get that installed?

2) Sound doesn't work.  'aplay <some_wav_file>' won't work. Is there
something the quivalent of sndconfig in redhat or am I missing
something?  I don't have the chipset but it's on-board sound.

3) Could the mythtv-setup screens have any less documentation?  I mean,
the only thing worse would be to take the labels off the form fields.
I've got a hauppauge 250.  Can someone tell me what I should put for
default input (i've been using Tuner 0)

4) Also, at the last meeting someone mentioned what I'd have to do to
get this box working via remote with the DirectTV tuner I have.  I
confirmed it does not have a serial port so what are my options?

To help keep me positively motivated, are there any other 'cool' plugins
with Myth I should consider that aren't included by default in KnoppMyth?

TIA,

--Tony