[Cialug] stupid processor question

Chris Hilton cialug@cialug.org
Wed, 23 Mar 2005 00:21:01 -0600

i686 is the Pentium Pro, Pentium II, Pentium III, Pentium IV, Pentium M,
Pentium 4M (duh).
Athlon is fully i686 compatible, and also supports a little extra; that
makes up the Athlon arch.
amd_64, is Athlon64.
x86_64, I think is two instructions different and works on Intel's EM64T
as well.
i586 is Pentium and AMD K6-2 (maybe K6 too I think?)
i486 is well 486.
etc.

I hope I got that all correct!