[Cialug] Iowa Training Days (fwd)

Jim Asbille cialug@cialug.org
Sat, 19 Mar 2005 09:38:09 -0600

John.Lengeling@radisys.com wrote:

> Dan is a friend of mine and he talked me into being a presenter at the
> Iowa Training Days.  Now I need to figure out what to talk about.  He
> thought there would be interest in a talk on open source software.
>
> Tentatively I was thinking about a case study on how RadiSys uses
> various open source software  with in the engineering department to
> solve various business needs.  Any one else have better
> ideas/suggestions which you might find interesting?
>
> Here is some of the stuff we use:
>
> Ht/Dig - Search Engine for Legacy Defect Tracking Data
> Perl/CPAN - Perl based automated Testing Harness.
> Apache/PHP - Engineering Web server
> MySQL -
> CMS -  Internal websites, portals, etc.
> MediaWiki - Internal Documentation of Engineering Work Procedures,
> Cygwin/X11 - UNIX/X11 integration with Windows
> Linux/FreeBSD/OpenBSD - Software compile servers, shared development
> servers
> Ethereal - Low cost network packet sniffers
> Nagios - System monitoring and alerting
> NetSNMP -
> openssh - X11 forwarding
>
> johnl

I think talking about how Open Source has solved your real world
situations is excellent.  That seems to be a big fear for managers in
using open source, what will happen in the real world?

--
Jim Asbille, MSM

"The box said that I needed to have Windows 98 or better...
so I installed Linux."

                        --- LinuxNewbie.org