[Cialug] new cable modem advice

Jerry Weida cialug@cialug.org
Fri, 18 Mar 2005 08:29:36 -0600

Try to avoid picking up a Moto 4220 (they should all have been
recalled by now I hope).  The Moto SB5100 is a pretty good modem.
There are some things about Motorola that don't affect people right
now, but may in the future.

They have really poor DOCSIS support.  They bend the rules as much a
they can and in the "taking full advantage of bandwidth given"
category, it really pays off.  The Moto's seem to have the best
throughput of any of the cable modems that I've tested.

However, these "minor deviations" from the DOCSIS 1.1 and PacketCable
1.0 specs have cost us some man hours in trying to get their modems
working with VoIP.  There are workarounds that we can do, but they
don't always seem stable.

Also, their deviation from the DOCSIS 1.1 spec caused a bit of a
problem we someone learned that the bridge between the ethernet port
and the cable RF side wasn't disabled during the initial boot process.
 This combined with the "deviation" that a modem isn't suppose to
accept a download of configuration from the ethernet side caused it so
that the Motorola's could be "hacked" very easily and we ended up
suspending several peoples accounts and dropping them due to constant
violations.  Of course, this point probably won't sway you away from
the brand :)  But it does illustrate Motorola's abillity to pass the
spec tests, but not particularly adhere to the specs.

Just my $.02