[Cialug] Fedora Core 3 SELinux

Stephen Hawkins cialug@cialug.org
Tue, 15 Mar 2005 09:49:35 -0600

Tom,

On Tuesday 15 March 2005 09:19, Dave Weis wrote:
> On Tue, 15 Mar 2005, Tom Pohl wrote:
> > I'm installing my first FC3 box (*gasp*).  Are there any Security
> > Enhanced Linux (SELinux) experts out there?

I'm not sure of how much of an expert I am, probably not much, and you may be
after information other then this, but to start learning about locking down
my RH box, I went to this website:

http://www.sns.ias.edu/~jns/security/iptables/

I learned a lot about iptables there (I am still learning about iptables and
his script) and installed the script that he has on his website.  I then,
over a period of time, changed it here and there to accommodate things I was
using that were blocked by the iptables script.  His script locks things up
pretty tight.  Things like NTP and Linksysmon stopped working and I had to
fool with the script to make them work.  Anyhow that is a good place to
start.  Depending on what flavor of linux distro you have,

/usr/sbin/iptables -L

should show you what rules you are living with now.  Save the file that
creates them, before you start making any changes.  After you look at the
website, and what you have now, you may decide that you don't want to change
anything.  There are two versions on his web site.  The old iptables script
of rules is easier to understand, for me anyway, then the new shell script
that sets everthing up.

Hope this helps,
Steve
--