[Cialug] ballpark networking rates

Nathan C. Smith cialug@cialug.org
Mon, 14 Mar 2005 10:23:13 -0600

Ahh, the joys of funny money and accounting chargeback.

-----Original Message-----
From: Dave J. Hala Jr. [mailto:dave@58ghz.net]
Sent: Monday, March 14, 2005 10:20 AM
To: Cialug
Subject: RE: [Cialug] ballpark networking rates

I did that once. It turned out a little wierd.  After a while, we discovered
the average amount that each "department" used. Then we ended up billing
each department X amount of dollars. This turned out to be a
*huge* mistake.

The "departments" then started coming up with this stuff:  I pay X amount of
dollars so I pay that persons salary and that persons salary that does
mostly work for my deparment."  I think they should be doing this and this
and this for my deparment. Or I don't think I'm getting my money's worth
from person X... I'm paying way to much money for the services I receive,
why don't I just contract it out and IT can just support the
infrastructure...and clean up the mess later...

What a mess. If you're a State/Federally funded entity, making the
transition to IT as profit center could be a quite a shock. If you're a
corporate person, then its just politics as usual...

Just my 2 cents..