[Cialug] OT-sorta: Theo De Raadt & Christos Zoulas

Academician Kula kula at tproa.net
Sat Jun 18 12:17:13 CDT 2005

On Fri, Jun 17, 2005 at 04:26:53PM -0500, Chris Hilton wrote:
> Did anyone catch this "interview" on forbes?
> http://www.forbes.com/intelligentinfrastructure/2005/06/16/linux-bsd-unix-cz_dl_0616theo.html
>
> I thought it was really bad.  I didn't realize De Raadt was so, well I
> can't describe him politely.
>
> This one was a lot better, Zoulas seems like a very intelligent
> well-rounded guy:
> http://os.newsforge.com/os/05/06/09/2132233.shtml?tid=152&tid=8&tid=2
>

> I'm not sure how "off-topic" this is cause it's about Linux but it's
> political.  I just wondered what the local consensus would be on these
> comments.

As many people have pointed out, De Raadt can be ... interesting. And,
as someone else has pointed out, there are many other people working
on OpenBSD, which has produced some high quality stuff (the pf
packet filter, for example, is very nice and my favorite firewall
solution).

I'm a big NetBSD guy, for various reasons, mainly that the base
OS, while being pretty full featured, is relatively tiny compared
to many Linux distributions, and it runs on an amazing variety of
older and weird hardware. It just meshes closest with the way I
think, so I use it. To each their own, however. Each of the three,
Net and OpenBSD, and the Linux distributions, has produced an
amazing amount of high-quality software.

--
Thomas L. Kula | kula at tproa.net | http://www.madscientistresearch.net
Mathom House upon the Canw, The People's Republic of Ames