[Cialug] Noise

Nathan C. Smith smith at ipmvs.com
Tue Jun 14 08:38:29 CDT 2005

Mini-itx!  Seriously, unless you are rendering or have serious processor
demands.  They are even available as rack-mounts for a little more $$$.  Add
a 3ware raid-controller for mirroring and they are fairly capable machines.

To respond to your question, put the computers someplace where the droning
will no longer bother you or people you care about.  If they go in the
laundry room put quiet power supplies in them to spare your laundry-doer.
If they are near the laundry, worry about dust and maybe static.

Rack computers don't seem to place low noise as a priority, rather airflow
and cooling.  They could very well end up being louder than your existing
machines, take that into consideration.

-Nate