[Cialug] Mac/Intel

Dave Weis djweis at sjdjweis.com
Thu Jun 9 15:00:07 CDT 2005

On Thu, 9 Jun 2005, James Shoemaker wrote:
>> There is an article on slash that sez no compatibility
>> with current or future pcs.
>> Also one on wired that sez probably not.
>>
>> If that's true- not much to get excited about.
> 	How hard would it be to drop an X86 OSX gui parts on top of the open
> source Darwin ported to commodity hardware?  I would think not too hard.

My bet is on someone finding a way to copy (cp not mimic) the gui bits
over to a darwin kernel on a standard pc. Unless they do hardcore voodoo
to check out the hardware, anything else can be emulated. The standard
method of stub things out in darwin, see what aqua asks for, write a test
program on real macos, change until done would be able to make it work.

dave

--
Dave Weis             "I believe there are more instances of the abridgment
djweis at sjdjweis.com   of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent