[Cialug] Hijack This! (Equivalent on Linux?)

david l goodrich cialug@cialug.org
Sat, 29 Jan 2005 13:57:46 -0600

--------------enig93658B341B2F4BDF988331CB

Andrew Lietzow wrote:
> david l goodrich wrote:
> <>-----------------------------------
> i use the sbl-xbl blocklist from spamhaus on my mailserver with great
> effect.  for the sendmailers out there, put this in your .mc:
>
> dnl sbl-xbl from spamhaus
> FEATURE(`dnsbl', `sbl-xbl.spamhaus.org',
>    `"571 ACCESS DENIED to <"$&f"> thru "$&{client_name}"
>    by /spamhaus/ ;Please see http://www.spamhaus.org/sbl/'")dnl
>
> and rebuild your sendmail.cf
> ... i'm not the only person that still uses sendmail, am i?  :]
> -------------------------------------
>
> Dear David/(or Waldo?),
> No, you're not the only one who uses sendmail.  There are at least two
> of us left on the planet.
> Thanks for the tip.  I inserted this into my sendmail.mc file, ran  ...
> m4 sendmail.mc > sendmail.cf ..., restarted sendmail and ... it
> restarted okay but ... it stopped receiving mail!   Yikes!  Fortunately,
> this was one of those rare moments when I had my wits about me and I had
> made a backup before engaging.
> Syntax error?   Is there a comma after the first line?   Perhaps I need
> to make sure the command is all on one line?   (no duh).  Sure.  Maybe
> that's it.   (I'm really not a sendmail expert, and have been trying not
> to become one for five years now.  If these spamming idiots would cease
> and desist, I could get back to my original objective -- to actually USE
> the software instead of maintaining it!
> Anyhow, I'll double check my syntax and maybe you could make sure it is
> 100% correct.   P.S.  The good news is that many spammers appear to be
> so efficient that they don't work on the weekends?!

hmm.  i copied that straight from my .mc, so ... it should work?

the way i've got it is to have everything from "FEATURE(" to ".org'," on
one line, a <CR>, a tab, and then everything from "`"571" to "_name}""
on the next.  another <CR>, another tab, and then "by /spamh" to "sbl/'"dnl"
i think the tabs are important....  anyway,
http://www.dorkzilla.org/~dlg/sendmail/dorkzilla.mc is my current .mc
file.  hope this helps.
   --waldo