[Cialug] MDK 9.1 won't accept X connection?

David Champion cialug@cialug.org
Fri, 28 Jan 2005 15:29:04 -0600

kendall bailey wrote:
> I have an old Thinkpad (233Mhz) running Mandrake 9.1.  Recently I added
> a headless P III NetVista to the local network and I'd like to run X
> applications on the NetVista and display on the Thinkpad.  I've done
> this sort of thing many many times, but I can not get the Thinkpad to
> accept a remote X client.  I used "xhost +", and set the DISPLAY on the
> NetVista to the thinkpad:0.0 but all x clients (such as xclock) just
> hang.  Nothing shows up on the thinkpad and no error on the NetVista.
> I've verified with netstat that the thinkpad is listening to port 6000.
> The NetVista will display to any Xvnc server I choose but not the
> Mandrake 9.1 root X server.  What am I missing?

Check for iptables rules, see if shorewall is running, or portsentry.
Look at /etc/hosts.deny (portsentry will write stuff there).

BTW, upgrading to Mandrake 10.x with a 2.6.x kernel will make X seem a
lot peppier on older machines. I'm running 10.0 on a 400mhz thinkpad w/
128mb RAM, and it's not bad at all.

-dc