[Cialug] Pulling my hair out over DNS issues?

Andrew Lietzow cialug@cialug.org
Tue, 25 Jan 2005 20:56:11 -0600

Dave Weis wrote:

> Busted! Did you remember to update the serial number at the top of the
> files and do an rndc reload after making the changes?

Yes to updating Serial No.   I've rebooted, and now I've tried <rndc
reload>, which simply gives me back a # prompt, so I think it worked.
If I try <rndc -s ns1.microanswers.net reload> it pukes with <Connect
Failed: connection refused> so I don't know for certain that I have the
syntax correct.

> Another option if you have a limited set of sites is to change it back
> to non-view'ed and make another host name called internal that maps to
> 192.168.0.2 for each domain, so www.hostascience.com is 66.43.x.x,
> internal.hostscience.com is 192.168.0.2, and you just remember to use
> internal.whatever when you are home.

I was hoping to make the <view "internal" and view "external"> option
work again out of the named.conf file, because that was slick.

I'll do some more research but I may just implement option two, since I
have only a few sites.   Or maybe I could offer to buy your office some
Godfather's Pizza if you'll slip by and fix it?

Ciao,
Andrew L.