[Cialug] Installing Debian

D. Joe Anderson cialug@cialug.org
Fri, 21 Jan 2005 10:47:30 -0600

On Thu, Jan 20, 2005 at 10:54:45AM -0600, kendall bailey wrote:
> I downloaded a recent
> netinst ISO for sarge, burned and tried to boot it, but no go.  The bios
> is set to try the CD-ROM, and I've always installed Mandrake by booting
> this way.  I checked the md5sum of the iso prior to burning.

probably a bad burn.  Do you get the initial splash screen with
the Debian logo, or not even that far?  Or does the kernal load
and then hit you with an error?

There's nothing magical in the booting of a netinst CD compared
to one of the full install CDs--the difference between them is
mostly in what happens after it boots, I think.

I'd say, given how cheap CD-Rs are these days, its worth burning
it again at least once.  If you think the image itself is bad
(these are the daily images you're downloading, or rc2?), to
save you some downloading you might go the opposite direction of
the full-size install CDs and just get the business-card image.

Where are you getting them?  From

http://cdimage.debian.org/pub/cdimage-testing/daily/

or elsewhere?

--
D. Joe Anderson         www.etrumeus.com/~deejoe
"DRM [...] is to copyright law as a machine gun on