[Cialug] Installing Debian

kendall bailey cialug@cialug.org
Thu, 20 Jan 2005 10:54:45 -0600

I run Mandrake 9.1 and would like to try Debian.  I downloaded a recent
netinst ISO for sarge, burned and tried to boot it, but no go.  The bios
is set to try the CD-ROM, and I've always installed Mandrake by booting
this way.  I checked the md5sum of the iso prior to burning.  The CD
contents look like this

debian@  install/    pics/        README.mirrors.html  tools/
dists/   isolinux/   pool/        README.mirrors.txt
doc/     md5sum.txt  README.html  README.txt

I've tried writing the boot.img to a floppy and boot that.  I get a
Debian logo and boot: prompt, but when I hit enter, it says the boot
failed, with no other info.

Am I doing something wrong? Should I get the first full CD rather than a
netinst CD?

btw, the machine is an Athlon 1GHz with 256MB RAM, K7T turbo
motherboard.  Everything works under MDK9.1.

Thanks for any help,
Kendall