[Cialug] Slightly OT: MythTV motherboard question

Bailey, Jonathan C cialug@cialug.org
Tue, 11 Jan 2005 18:38:51 -0600

The 'ultimate' setup is a bit out of my price range. I'm using a PVR-150 =
(cx88 driver) which is newly supported in Ubuntu. What do you recommend =
for a cheap-ish case? I'm looking at an InWin MicroATX case. What kind =
of PSU would you recommend? Also, I'm leaning to the Sempron CPU. Any =
other suggestions there?

Jon

-----Original Message-----
From: cialug-admin@cialug.org [mailto:cialug-admin@cialug.org]On Behalf
Of David Champion
Sent: Tuesday, January 11, 2005 6:29 PM
To: cialug@cialug.org
Subject: Re: [Cialug] Slightly OT: MythTV motherboard question

Bailey, Jonathan C wrote:
> I'm looking at building a MythTV box and was wondering what everyone =
thought for a motherboard option. I'd like to build Socket A and on a =
MicroATX board. I'm thinking of something like the Chaintech 7NIF2 which =
has onboard S-Video out. Should I go for a board with onboard S-Video =
out or go for a cheaper board and use an add-on graphics card?

That would be a good choice - the nForce2 IGP chipset has good tv-out,=20
and the sound processor is quite nice. It's even capable of doing some=20
gaming - roughly equivalent of a GeForce 4 MX.

If you're going to put this in your entertainment center: When building=20
your case, choose something that's going to be quiet. Some people assume =

one small fan is better, but that's going so have a high-pitched whine.=20
If you need fans, look for a large diameter, low RPM fan that moves the=20
same amount of air.

The "ultimate" way to do a mythtv system is to have the encoder/server=20
in a closet or basement somewhere, and have a fanless box, like the=20
"Hush" from mini-itx.com in your entertainment center. This is, of=20
course, very expensive.

-dc