[Cialug] OT, big time. If you named your child NUL

Claus cialug@cialug.org
Tue, 11 Jan 2005 13:09:25 -0600

No, naming a child Null wouldn't (shouldn't) cause any problems in
application that use some kind of database.  Of course Dave Weis'
suggestion of using special character would cause trouble.  Besides how
would you pronounce that.

Working at the university and having to deal with names in databases I
did encounter lots of weird things.  People without a first name doesn't
seem to be uncommon.  Some of these even have a middle name.  Then there
can be spaces in last or first names and who knows what.

Germany is quite more restrictive with names.  First names have to be
approved.  You can't just name your kid "toilette" instead the
government is protecting the child since such a name could harm the
child.  Also first names must identify gender.  So you can't name your
son Jennie.  Maria is a special case.  This name can be given to a male
as well (mostly in conjunction with another first name).  There always
has to be an exception to make things screwy.