[Cialug] Cluster

Paul Gray cialug@cialug.org
Mon, 28 Feb 2005 13:22:22 -0600

--CGDBiGfvSTbxKZlW

On Mon, Feb 28, 2005 at 01:00:49PM -0600, Lee wrote:
> Purely for experience at the moment. But as with many of my projects, it
> will relate to software development. I need a model, so I'm setting up a
> couple Proliant 800s. This is new territory for me though and I've found a
> lot of very general spec sheet style documents on the subject.
>=20
> What sort of interconnect should I be looking for. Is a fast 10/100 switch
> all I really need. Or is the speed between the two just that... A matter =
of
> preferred speed?

It depends completely upon the type of application you're planning on
supporting.  If you just want a compute farm, 10/100 would be fine.  If you
need to do molecular dynamics, then think Myrinet/Infiniband.

Seeing as you're looking to start with the Proliants, a 10/100 should be ju=
st
fine.

You may want to boot them with the Bootable Cluster CD first, if your proje=
ct
is motivated mostly by curiosity, http://bccd.cs.uni.edu.

--=20
Paul Gray                                         -o)
323 Wright Hall                                   /\\
University of Northern Iowa                      _\_V
Message void if penguin violated ...  Don't mess with the penguin

--CGDBiGfvSTbxKZlW

--CGDBiGfvSTbxKZlW--