[Cialug] Cluster

Aaron Porter cialug@cialug.org
Mon, 28 Feb 2005 11:08:57 -0800

On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 13:00:49 -0600, Lee <leeh@csi-rics.com> wrote:
> What sort of interconnect should I be looking for. Is a fast 10/100 switch
> all I really need. Or is the speed between the two just that... A matter of
> preferred speed?

That's an incredibly subjective question. It all depends on the
workload. If you're doing something (like SETI, rc5, etc) that uses a
lot of cpu time for tiny little chunks of data input and output, than
10/100 is probably ok, but for most real world applications
(bioinformatics, rendering, etc) you're really going to want gigE (or
better). A xeon or an opteron with a 64bit pci nic can flood a gigE
pretty reliably.