[Cialug] Help configuring Qmail with checkpassword for SMTP auth

Claus cialug@cialug.org
Thu, 24 Feb 2005 00:07:34 -0600

I traced the problem down a little more.  The following command line
checks the checkpassword program:
printf "%s\0%s\0%s\0" user pass Y123456 | /usr/local/bin/checkpassword
id 3<&0

For root the authentication is successful and the id program is run,
however for qmaild the authentication failed.  I even tried it with the
shadow password file (/etc/master.passwd) and for good luck /etc/passwd
chmoded to 777 with no luck.

Any tips?
  Claus

PS:  Thanks to Joel for posting his configuration file.  Josh, while
this seems to be the harder way than to follow blindly the qmailtoaster
install, I like to understand things and learn from it.  Also I don't
need all the feature/components that qmail toaster has.