[Cialug] Iowa Municipal Telecom Legisation

Jon Clemons cialug@cialug.org
Tue, 22 Feb 2005 15:46:33 -0600

The big play now is all the big Telco's trying to monopolize
telephone, internet and TV so they can be the provider of
all three services which if successful will shut down
a lot of other businesses. They don't want Municipalities
to take that market share away from them anywhere.

----- Original Message -----
From: "David Champion" <dave@visionary.com>
To: <cialug@cialug.org>
Sent: Tuesday, February 22, 2005 3:41 PM
Subject: Re: [Cialug] Iowa Municipal Telecom Legisation

So, rather than fix the legislation that the telcos must endure, let's
make municipalities use similarly messed up rules. Gotta love that.

Municipalities provide all kinds of public utility services, like
electricity, water, sewer, and sometimes cable TV and phone. All of
these are complex and expensive, and yet hundreds of towns in Iowa
manage to support them. Why should internet service be MORE regulated
than any of those?

Seems to me like a win/win situation would be for XYZ ISP to contract
out to a municipality to do this (doubtful that the town would have the
resources to do it themselves). Then the town handles the support /
billing / day to day junk that would be a hassle for the ISP, and the
ISP gets paid for the big contracting and probably for providing the
upstream bandwidth.

-dc