[Cialug] Iowa Municipal Telecom Legisation

David Champion cialug@cialug.org
Tue, 22 Feb 2005 15:41:41 -0600

So, rather than fix the legislation that the telcos must endure, let's=20
make municipalities use similarly messed up rules. Gotta love that.

Municipalities provide all kinds of public utility services, like=20
electricity, water, sewer, and sometimes cable TV and phone. All of=20
these are complex and expensive, and yet hundreds of towns in Iowa=20
manage to support them. Why should internet service be MORE regulated=20
than any of those?

Seems to me like a win/win situation would be for XYZ ISP to contract=20
out to a municipality to do this (doubtful that the town would have the=20
resources to do it themselves). Then the town handles the support /=20
billing / day to day junk that would be a hassle for the ISP, and the=20
ISP gets paid for the big contracting and probably for providing the=20
upstream bandwidth.

-dc