[Cialug] Backups with rsync

Dave J. Hala Jr. cialug@cialug.org
Sun, 20 Feb 2005 13:06:46 -0600

I've never been a fan of incremental backups. Ever do a complete restore
from a daily incremental backup set? If one of the backup sets is bad,
you can be hosed.

For what a cheap ide drive costs nowadays, you might as well just do a
full backup every night and save yourself the headache. If you are
worried about the "reliability" of the cheap ide drives, use two or
three or four of them with software raid...

Depending on how large your backup files are, you may be able to also
store them on the CD/RW's or DVD/RW's and rotate the media out weekly,
taking a copy off-site.

If they are truly "mission" critical backups, the cost of the back-up
system shouldn't be a factor. (It just needs to be reasonable) It just
needs to be reliable and able to be restored quickly.

:) Dave