[Cialug] lin4win VS Linspire for non linux user

Nathan C. Smith cialug@cialug.org
Thu, 17 Feb 2005 08:52:54 -0600

Funny you should ask - I got an el-cheapo machine yesterday with Linspire on
it and I was very impressed by Linspire's capabilities.  It recognized a USB
wireless interface, was zippy and stable.  I would consider installing it
for my mother as long as she wasn't going to ask to run Quicken.

It's VERY consumer oriented - there was no SSH on it!  but their click'n'run
feature (available by subscription) has several available.  It also acts a
lot like an OS available from a large Pacific Northwest software company.

I think there is some kind of stigma attached to Linspire - maybe because it
tries to emulate the above-mentioned OS instead of being great on its own,
but I have to believe they have some very talented people at work developing
to make everything interoperate so slick.  In fact, I would go so far to say
there are Wal-Mart shades of Mac-OS X in an XP interface on linux kind of
way.

-Nate

-----Original Message-----
From: John Roach [mailto:jroach@eastersealsia.org]
Sent: Thursday, February 17, 2005 8:42 AM
To: cialug@cialug.org
Subject: [Cialug] lin4win VS Linspire for non linux user

Has anyone hgad any experiance with either of these?
John Roach
Information Technology
Easter Seals Iowa
(515) 274-1529 Ext. 276
This electronic transmission and any documents accompanying this electronic
transmission contain confidential information belonging to the sender. This
information may be legally privileged. The information is intended only for
the use of the individual or entity named above. If you are not the intended
distribution or the taking of any action in reliance on or regarding the
contents of this electronically transmitted information is strictly
prohibited.