[Cialug] Audio Recording

Rocket Robin Hood cialug@cialug.org
Sun, 6 Feb 2005 04:48:40 -0600

Hi Steve -
While there's plenty of programs that usually come with a distro that would be
suitable for this, I strongly suggest Audacity - http://
audacity.sourceforge.net - I believe this also comes with most of the big
distros. It's very intuitive for the most part, you just start by hitting the
big red record button and look at it go - it defaults to CD settings (44100
khz, 32 bit sampling rate and all that) and has a really easy export-to-wave
feature. There's fancier stuff if you want it too, with tons of plugins which
let you do the craziest stuff (reverb, gain, wah-wah, gverb, long delays,
pitch control, blahblahblah) and even with pure voice recording I'd suggest a
4x4 pole allpass (seems to smooth out my p's and t's when I sing).
I'm a musician, and just last summer I recorded an entire CD using Audacity
(and Hydrogen, a cool *nix drum machine).
If you do decide to use Audacity, drop me a line and I can tell you some
tricks and such as I've wrestled with it for 3-4 versions at this point.

Good luck!

-jason