[Cialug] Serial port problem

Dave Weis djweis at sjdjweis.com
Thu Dec 22 06:14:05 CST 2005

If you are using an RCA receiver with a "Home Control" port, be sure it is
set to "Low Speed Data" and not "Home Control".
???

On Wed, 21 Dec 2005, Tony Bibbs wrote:

> I've got my Myth box mostly working.  The last thing to get working is
> configuring my DirectTV D10-300 box to change channels via the pvr-250
> remote.  Which had let me to this small useful how to:
>
> http://mythtv.org/pipermail/mythtv-users/2005-October/107586.html
>
> Got the special serial cable, got the script installed, upgraded the software
> on the settop box but when I run the scriptI get timeout errors.  I have two
> serial ports, /dev/ttyS0 and /dev/ttyS1 and when I configure the script to
> use either it doesn't work.  When I run the script in verbose mode I get
> stuff like:
>
> myth bin # ./directv.pl port /dev/ttyS0 box_type D10-100 setup_channel 13
> SEND: 0xFA [?] 0x82 [?]
> RECV: Timeout Error
>
> I tried to cat both ports (e.g. cat /dev/ttyS0) but it just returns me
> quietly back to a blinking prompt.  I guess now I'm looking for suggestions
> on how to troubleshoot this further.
>
> --Tony

Dave Weis             "I believe there are more instances of the abridgment
djweis at sjdjweis.com   of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent
                       encroachments of those in power than by violent
                       and sudden usurpations."- James Madison