[Cialug] Serial port problem

Tony Bibbs tony at tonybibbs.com
Wed Dec 21 22:00:51 CST 2005

I've got my Myth box mostly working.  The last thing to get working is
configuring my DirectTV D10-300 box to change channels via the pvr-250
remote.  Which had let me to this small useful how to:

http://mythtv.org/pipermail/mythtv-users/2005-October/107586.html

Got the special serial cable, got the script installed, upgraded the
software on the settop box but when I run the scriptI get timeout
errors.  I have two serial ports, /dev/ttyS0 and /dev/ttyS1 and when I
configure the script to use either it doesn't work.  When I run the
script in verbose mode I get stuff like:

myth bin # ./directv.pl port /dev/ttyS0 box_type D10-100 setup_channel 13
SEND: 0xFA [?] 0x82 [?]
RECV: Timeout Error

I tried to cat both ports (e.g. cat /dev/ttyS0) but it just returns me
quietly back to a blinking prompt.  I guess now I'm looking for
suggestions on how to troubleshoot this further.

--Tony