[Cialug] OT: Video Conferencing

Stuart Thiessen sthiessen at passitonservices.org
Sat Aug 27 14:26:01 CDT 2005

Being deaf, I do a lot of one-to-one video communication using DLink
i2eye videophones. They work pretty nicely for a low cost situation.
You can get them with a wide angle camera or a regular camera. They do
use H.323 for communication so your firewall will need to know how to
route that, put it in your DMZ, or you can simply leave it outside the
firewall. They hook up to your TV using standard RCA video and audio
adapters which means you can also connect it to your video projector to
use it with a larger group. I use it to communicate with deaf
colleagues or use Video Relay Service to talk with hearing people using
a sign language interpreter over video.

I think you can get an i2eye for about $250. You need probably at least
512Mbps bandwidth available for a quality picture. And of course for
this route, you must have one IP address for each VP that you want to
receive calls on.  Calling out, you can have as many as you want (and
your bandwidth can support).

This is the low cost route ... nothing fancy, but it works well for
what I need to do.

Hope this helps.

Stuart Thiessen