[Cialug] OT: Video Conferencing

Kenneth Ristau kristau at kristau.net
Sat Aug 27 08:32:52 CDT 2005

If price isn't an object, I'd say go the polycom route.  I set one of
these up over ISDN lines about 4 or 5 years ago.  Nice features.  If the
room isn't to echo-y, you can program them to pan-tilt-zoom to the
current person speaking.  The controls are easy to operate for non-techy
types (taught our COO how to use it in about 5 minutes and never got a
call for help unless the actual ISDN was having issues).

I've not kept on top of contemporary video conferencing tech (after all,
4 or 5 years is an ETERNITY), but I'm pretty sure h.323 is still _the_
standard for video conferencing.

Nathan C. Smith wrote:
> Anybody set up and manage a business-style conference-room video
> conferencing system?  What are the requirements to allow for the greatest
> interoperability with the video conferencing systems of other companies or
> organizations?  Or is interoperability even possible?
>
> Is h.323 _the_ standard?
> Do you just buy a polycom system of some type and have done with it?
>
> At our firm this has always been a chicken & egg problem: we have no client
> demand for video conferencing, therefore we have no video-conferencing
> system, and no clients who request video conferencing, etc.
>
> If anybody knows about these kinds of things I would be grateful for some
> pointers or links.
>
> Thanks.
>
> -Nate

Tired programmer