[Cialug] system admin job

Renegade Muskrat dramaley at spatulacity.cx
Sat Aug 27 12:50:35 CDT 2005

In two weeks i am leaving my current position. I work at Cowles Library
at Drake University. The search committee is going to start looking for
a replacement soon, so i thought i'd give this group a heads-up in case
anyone is interested. I'll have more details once the search committee
gets further along in the process, but for now i can give the info
below about the position. If you aren't interested, please delete the
message now.

About the job:

I am the system administrator of the library. I maintain about 100
Windows PCs and 30 OS X Macs. Most of the machines are in public labs
and thus are easy to manage with imaging software. About 30 machines
are used by faculty and staff and are a bit more customized. I also
maintain the server room, which consists of 1 Solaris machine, 2
Windows servers, and a handful of Linux and OpenBSD servers. I spend my
time doing light programming, helping faculty and staff with questions,
and learning how to improve the infrastructure. Most of my projects are
self-chosen and i have a lot of freedom to do what i want. I try to
spend as much time as possible doing system administration on the
various Unix-like machines but do have to spend a bit on the Windows
machines. There is a small amount of Active Directory administration
involved. The Macs mostly take care of themselves, but i try to update
the software on them every 2 years or so. I also advocate the use of
open source when possible and do a bit of occasional research into open
source ways to do things. Web development used to be part of the job,
but we hired a web developer in January and since then my web duties
have mostly been system administration tasks on the web server
(reconfiguring Apache when the web developer wants it to do more, for
instance).

I would say the job is challenging in that there is a broad array of
tasks. But for anyone with some Linux or Unix experience who is willing
to get their hands dirty with Windows administration, it isn't too bad.
Over time i've been finding programs and writing scripts to make the
Windows machines behave more like Unix, so even Windows stuff isn't as
bad as it used to be. We have been talking as a long-term strategy
thinning out the Windows machines and replacing them with Macs. All the
security and anti-virus stuff you have to do to a Windows machine to
keep it secure in a lab environment is rather obscene.

Also, if you want to run Linux on your own workstation, that is a
possibility. I've been doing it since i was hired. The library uses
Linux in the server room. Linux (specifically, the Linux Terminal
Server Project distribution) is also used to run the public card
catalog terminals (what people use to look up books and journal
articles).

Also, whoever is hired will be able to ask me questions fairly easily
if you don't understand how things are set up currently. I'll still be
on Drake campus, just over in the Dial Center (for those of you
familiar with Drake). I'm also leaving behind a folder of documentation
that i've written that describes in detail (some would say excruciating
detail) how servers and desktop computers are configured.

About the benefits:

Salary: they will probably offer a new person somewhere in the upper
$30s or low $40s. I started 4 years ago at $38k but now make about $3k
more. Drake's standard work week is 37.5 hours. I never have to work
overtime. On rare occasions (maybe 3-4 times per year) i'll have to go
in for half an hour on a weekend or evening to fix something critical
that broke, but when that happens i just leave early the next work day.
Standard work day is 8:00-16:30 with an hour for lunch. But if that
doesn't work, they are flexible. Many people start earlier or later
than 8:00 for instance (there's one person who starts at 6:30 <shudder>
but then leaves around 15:00).

Vacation: 22 days per year (2 of those days are labelled "personal
days" but they are the same thing). National holidays and the week
between Christmas and New Year's Day are also given as paid time off.
Holidays don't count as part of the 20 days of vacation, so with them
included you end up getting more like 30 to 35 days vacation per year.

It is a university job, with all else that implies. Namely, you don't
get very good raises (some years the raise is less than inflation) and
the raises aren't usually based on performance. The upside to a
university job (beyond the short work week and the excessive vacation
time) is an excellent benefits package including good medical and
dental (when i visit the dentist every 6 months i just wave to the
receptionist on the way out; it costs me nothing; doctor's visits only
cost me $15; prescriptions are also about $10 for anything). There is
also automatic life insurance and a good retirement plan that Drake
pays into separate from regular salary. The best benefit (to me anyway)
is free classes: you can take 8 credits per semester free of charge.
That works out to 2 or 3 classes. I usually take 2. Juggling work plus
3 classes would be a bit stressful.

Also, my manager is awesome. He does a great job of shielding me from
all sorts of nuisances. I rarely have to go to meetings, and usually
they are useful instead of boring stuff that some management types
like. Most of the time i am left to complete projects as i see fit. In
a typical day i'll split my time between 2 or 3 long-term projects
(switching when i hit a problem that requires thought or when i get
bored of working on one particular thing) and dealing with daily system
administration tasks and answering the occasional questions from the
staff. I don't have to deal with the student population all that often;
probably on average 5 minutes per day.

Well, that's all i can think of off the top of my head related to the
position. I'll post more details later with a link to the official job
listing, which probably won't be nearly as descriptive as this ramble
was.
                                                -- Dan
             "I'm still sane on three planets and two moons."
       Daniel Ramaley                  3118 Cottage Grove Ave Apt 8
       dramaley at spatulacity dot cx        Des Moines, Iowa 50311
       http://www.spatulacity.cx/                    (515) 271-5233