[Cialug] DNS Issues

ajeffri at loopysite.org ajeffri at loopysite.org
Tue Aug 23 19:00:25 CDT 2005

On Tue, Aug 23, 2005 at 06:22:03PM -0500, Stuart Thiessen wrote:
> I understand the question. :)
>
> Well the funny thing of all of this is that the rest of the network's
> users are having no problem.  This Linux server that is giving me
> problems is able to receive and process email, and do everything fine
> except for the fact that it cannot see outside of the local network. I
> ran a test by running a ping on www.yahoo.com and then put the ip
> address and www.yahoo.com in my /etc/hosts file.  It still is unable to
> do anything with it. So that seems to point to a routing problem.  Now,
> does Linux require a daemon to be running to manage routes?  At this
> point, I can't see anything running that managed routes, but I did not
> install anything extra to manage routes.

I know this sounds strange, but I've been in situations where particular
routes just stopped working. They were in the routing table, but they
would stop working. It's only happened to me once, and the solution was to
delete the route and add it again. Try deleting the default route and adding
it again. Do this at the console, lest you accidentally disconnect yourself
from the server.

--
Tony Jeffries