[Cialug] DNS Issues

Stuart Thiessen sthiessen at passitonservices.org
Tue Aug 23 18:22:03 CDT 2005

I understand the question. :)

Well the funny thing of all of this is that the rest of the network's
users are having no problem.  This Linux server that is giving me
problems is able to receive and process email, and do everything fine
except for the fact that it cannot see outside of the local network. I
ran a test by running a ping on www.yahoo.com and then put the ip
address and www.yahoo.com in my /etc/hosts file.  It still is unable to
do anything with it. So that seems to point to a routing problem.  Now,
does Linux require a daemon to be running to manage routes?  At this
point, I can't see anything running that managed routes, but I did not
install anything extra to manage routes.

Hmmmm,

Stuart