[Cialug] SUSE Question

James Shoemaker james at dhlake.com
Mon Aug 8 23:10:56 CDT 2005

Stuart Thiessen wrote:
> Well, my organization is a deaf non-profit that works to help deaf
> individuals, deaf organizations, or organizations serving deaf people.
> One of our service areas is technology because there are many ways in
> which technology can be leveraged to assist our deaf community to have
> equal access to the hearing world. So our clients tend to be businesses
> or organizations which have limited budgets so we try to leverage Linux
> solutions (where we can) for some of the big ticket items (from you know
> who and others) that usually drain dollars from IT budgets.
>
> So, we don't really make money off it other than a very limited amount
> to fund our activities and partially pay our staff (of 2).
>
> But I do very much appreciate all of your comments because they help me
> understand the enterprise level market which I haven't really worked
> with yet.

	If you can live with slightly stale packages debian stable gets timely
security updates for free, they (the deb security team) backport the
security patches into the version that is used in stable.  I wouldn't
recommend using non-stable (testing or unstable) because they don't get
the security updates in nearly as good a schedule.

James

James