[Cialug] SUSE Question

Josh More morej at alliancetechnologies.net
Mon Aug 8 17:39:53 CDT 2005

If you are using the server in a work environment and you need
enterprise-level reliability, you need an enterprise-level server.
Red Hat Enterprise Linux or SUSE Linux Enterprise Server will
work for you.  This way you will get five years of updates for all
supported apps - ssh, apache,vsftpd, etc.  Do not expect updates
for unsupported apps such as ports from other OS versions.
For example, if you need widgety-foo.rpm from SUSE Pro or
Fedora Core, so not expect enterprise-level performance or
security from it.

That said, if you cannot afford the enterprise systems, I recommend
CentOS.  It is a rebuild of RHEL and odds are that it will be updated
as RHEL is.  I recommend actually parting with the money though.
If you are making money off it, you should pay for it.  IMO.

--
-Josh More, RHCE, CISSP, NCLP
morej at alliancetechnologies.net
515-245-7701

>>>sthiessen at passitonservices.org 08/08/05 5:31 pm >>>
Ok, just to get your advice (all included, not just Josh) ...

Should I not run SUSE for this then? Or you recommend something better
that would be more stable?

If it will save my time and effort in the future to backup my software
and reinstall something more stable, I can do that. But I am not sure
what is the best for this kind of situation.

Thanks,

Stuart

Cialug at cialug.org